Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

Iam a share holder of a co-op unit .about 5 yrs ago the

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: Iam a share holder of a co-op unit .about 5 yrs ago the majority stock holder
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: serve me eviction notice and ten days ago i got serve again the charge disorderly conduct is the first notice hold after that much time elapse?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nj
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Appreciate e-mail***@******.*** asap. TY
Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

The eviction notice should not be of any legal significance now.......if the co-op didn't follow through with the eviction, then that notice should be irrelevant. Thus, any eviction proceedings would have to start over in order to be legally effective.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It is well known that for any eviction a first notice must be served - and he did serve me approximately 5 years ago for disorderly conduct - on january 10th i got a letter advising me that board have unanimously voted to evict me. The question again since the first notice been served that long ago is there any statutory limitations to the first notice in 2012.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I wish I could AFFORD it
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Well?
Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.

The law in NJ generally requires a 30 day notice to comply or quit.....so if you got a notice, but the co-op never proceeded with anything and allowed you to stay, then the court should find that the co-op forgave the initial claim and allowed you to remain. I don't see anything that would allow the 5 year old notice to be a precedent for any current proceeding. Here's a link to the laws regarding this matter: http://www.state.nj.us/dca/divisions/codes/publications/pdf_lti/evic_law.pdf

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** be in touch.
Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.

No problem. Thanks for the question and please let me know if you need anything further.