LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I am small business owner in California, what is the

Customer Question

I am small business owner in California, what is the procedure to lay off the people? I means, should I hand over the last check to the staff and let them go next day, or let them know two weeks advance?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 8 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. California is an at-will employment state. Under the at-will presumption, a California employer, absent an agreement or statutory or public policy exception to the contrary, may terminate an employee for any reason at any time. As such, you can decide how you want to handle this, based upon the best interest of the company. If you are going to be laying off people, you may want to be considerate of their needs and give them a 2 week notice, so they can at least start sending out resumes and looking for a new job. At the same time, if you think that they may sabotage and do harm to your company, you may want to terminate them after giving them their last check. A lot depends on how you feel and how you want to transition, based upon your relationship with your employees.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I prefer to give them one month of pay and let them go next day. Thanks for the great answer

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated Thank you.