How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6422
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I purchased a property that was once own by the State

Customer Question

I purchased a property that was once own by the State Savings Bank (now no longer in existence) some 30 years ago. At the time of purchase a banking ledger book was part of the purchase which was left on the shelves in the old banking vault. I now wish to sell this property and want to use this this old ledger as part of the sale. To gain more insight into the history of the property I took the book to my bank manager at Westpac Bank and left the book with him 2 weeks ago. Today I called into see my manager to get an update on further history in relation to my property and the book. The manager was unavailable and I was told that the book had been given to the Commonwealth bank manager next door. I saw the Commonwealth bank manager today and he told me that he sent the book to be destroy and that it would not be given back to me. I ask him to in fact check that it has been destroy and he said that it had. I was most upset and said that I would report his action to the police station, which I did. The police said that I need to prove that the book was indeed destroyed without my permission, which it was and only in a civil case could this be resolved. If I indeed seek compensation for my loss, I cannot prove the value of the book but I have paid $3000.00 to have property valued inclusive of the history for sale. Where can I go to get justice......Margaret.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: This is in Bayswater Victoria Australia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Only reported to the local police station this afternoon
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My age 72 on 28.1.17 and that I feel that I am being intimidated because of my age and gender.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Maverick replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Maverick replied 9 months ago.


I am sorry that this has happened to you. If you want justice here, you will need to sue the bank manager at Westpac bank and at Commonwealth bank for civil conversion and breach of bailment.

Also, this link may help you find a business litigation lawyer in your area that may handle these types of matters.

Please Note:

(1) The information I provide is general in nature and for educational purposes only. For example, it may help you identify the scope of receiving unbundled legal services from a local lawyer. It should not be construed as “legal advice” or as the rendition of “legal services” on any subject matter. I am not a specialist in any field. This information may not reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction and is not guaranteed to be correct or complete. No attorney-client relationship is established without a signed written agreement and our communications are not confidential. Please do not act or fail to act based on this information alone. If you need legal advice or services regarding a specific matter, you should consult in-person with a local lawyer who can guide you after reviewing all the pertinent details of your situation. This disclaimer also applies to any telephone communications we may have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours.

(3) When we are done, please assign a feedback rating.