How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6423
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My cousin's wife died recently and left him with 30K in

Customer Question

My cousin's wife died recently and left him with 30K in credit card debt. He lives in California and filed bankruptcy five years ago he was told he cannot file for another five years ago. Other than hiring a debt consolidation company is there anything he can do to resolve the debt? Also he has no assets so what legal trouble could he run into if he does not pay?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Maverick replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Maverick replied 9 months ago.

If he received his first discharge under a Chapter 7, he cannot receive a second discharge in any Chapter 7 case that is filed within eight years from the date that the first case was filed. So, he may need to stall for three more years.

Usually, hiring a debt consolidation company is not a good idea as many of them are just scam artists. He can try to contact the creditors' lawyers and negotiate a payment plan or a lump sump settlement.

Also, if he has no assets, then he should just send them a letter to that effect and see if they back off. What they may then do is try to impact his credit report if it has already not been affected.

Please Note:

(1) The information I provide is general in nature and for educational purposes only. For example, it may help you identify the scope of receiving unbundled legal services from a local lawyer. It should not be construed as “legal advice” or as the rendition of “legal services” on any subject matter. I am not a specialist in any field. This information may not reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction and is not guaranteed to be correct or complete. No attorney-client relationship is established without a signed written agreement and our communications are not confidential. Please do not act or fail to act based on this information alone. If you need legal advice or services regarding a specific matter, you should consult in-person with a local lawyer who can guide you after reviewing all the pertinent details of your situation. This disclaimer also applies to any telephone communications we may have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours.

(3) When we are done, please assign a feedback rating.