How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bill Attorney Your Own Question
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1227
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Bill Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Tina i need to file a petition to have a felony expunge,

Customer Question

hi tina i need to file a petition to have a felony expunge
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: california, it was on 2010, i was chrged of grand theft, it was a funeral insurance case
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: i got convicted, no jail time
JA: I'm sorry but I'm not sure we have an expert who covers what you are looking for. Maybe if you give me more details I will find you a connection to someone who can help you.
Customer: i just need to file to seal my record im a permanent resident and i need to apply for my citizeship
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: that is all
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Bill Attorney replied 8 months ago.

This is attorney Bill answering your expungement question today. The first process should be to have your case dismissed. This is done by filing a petition to have your felony conviction reduced to a misdemeanor.

PC § 17(b)(3 "b) When a crime is punishable, in the discretion of the court, either by imprisonment in the state prison or imprisonment in a county jail under the provisions of subdivision (h) of Section 1170, or by fine or imprisonment in the county jail, it is a misdemeanor for all purposes under the following circumstances . . . (3) When the court grants probation to a defendant without imposition of sentence and at the time of granting probation, or on application of the defendant or probation officer thereafter, the court declares the offense to be a misdemeanor."

Then you also need to file for a dismissal of the misdemeanor crime at the same court where you were convicted.

Here is the form you file with the court for the dismissal of the misdemeanor:

You should contact the clerk for a complete package checklist and obtain your criminal record file and file the following form:

There is no charge to petition initially but you may be charged after final hearing of the decision

If you need more information please follow up with me

we are here to help