How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27052
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was arrested yesterday for shoplifting and it was my first

Customer Question

i was arrested yesterday for shoplifting and it was my first offense
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: new york. january 9, 2017
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: i was processed. and went to see a judge
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 7 months ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 7 months ago.

What is your question about this situation?

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 7 months ago.

If this shoplifting case is your very first arrest, you may be able to come out of this matter without having to carry around a conviction on your record. To do the most effective kind of damage control, you should retain a local criminal lawyer as soon as possible. He would be able to negotiate with the prosecutor and try to get him to reduce this to a civil offense. You could then pay a fine and you would not have a criminal conviction which could compromise your career.

Alternatively, the prosecutor can offer you a diversion-type of disposition. That's a special form of supervision where you pay fines, do some community service and stay out of further trouble during the supervisory period. If you complete everything successfully, your charges would be dismissed and you could avoid a criminal conviction.

You would be eligible for something like the above if you wanted to resolve the case without going to trial, but getting the disposition may have to be negotiated for you. So if you can afford a lawyer, have him with you on your next court date. Otherwise, if you are too poor to retain counsel, ask the judge to appoint you a free lawyer, and he'll take the matter from there.

I'm not sure what you wanted to know about this situation because you didn't actually ask a question or reply to my first inquiry. So if this does not tell you all you were looking to learn about your situation, please reply here on this question thread to follow up with me, and i'll be happy to add to my answer.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 7 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.