How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41034
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Nebraska. My son turns 19 in July. Does Child

Customer Question

I live in Nebraska. My son turns 19 in July. Does Child support end automatically at that point or are there steps that I have to actively take.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Nebraska
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: regarding what?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Ok, I am now and have always been current on my child support payments.
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 6 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 6 months ago.

Yes that is correct here.

In Nebraska, a child is presumed to be emancipated when he or she reaches 19, or marries, or enlists in the military, or moves to his or her own residence. In order to stop paying support a parent must petition the court or arrearages accumulate.

Nebraska Child Support - Nebraska Divorce Source

So you are off the hook here at age 19.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.