Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Tennesse laws against physical threats on Facebook...no

Customer Question

tennesse laws against physical threats on Facebook...no prior convictions....was molested by this man for 2 years
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 8 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 8 months ago.

Tennessee prosecutes this kind of matter under their harassment statute. YOu can see that here.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 8 months ago.

As you can see it is a Class A misdemeanor punishable by a maximum jail term of 11 months and 29 days in jail and/or a $2,500 fine. Was he incarcerated or on probation or parole because of the molestation when he posted this about you? If so, it could rise to the level of a felony matter.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 8 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I talked to another lawyer and.because of no priors and no bodily harm to the member but threats were made, he said more than likely it will be a misdemeanor, probation and fine
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I was in the area about an hour away but never went to him and said to meet me st a time place where I was, however , I was at my cousins house the whole time and deleted the messages as I notice what horrible thing I have done...this was totally out of character for me..messages are home
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Are gone
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No I posted the molestation about my sister he did not blame me
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He molested my sister and I accused him of it
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 8 months ago.

Right. Looked like a misdemeanor to me absent any special circumstances. However, making an accusation is not a threat. He could sue you but couldn't prosecute you for the threats.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
In your opinion, would I serve any jail time? Just a misdemeanor with probation and a fine? Fine only? what is your opinion
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 8 months ago.

Typically, these matter usually come down to a misdemeanor, probation, fine and a protective order in favor of the complainant.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you...what type of misdemeanor? A B C? Or just put on my record with no consequences - such as serving no jail time?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 8 months ago.

If you pled to the charge, it would be a class A misdemeanor. If you got probation, it would show as a conviction and a sentence to probation. You should go to court with a lawyer. He may be able to do better than that for you depending upon what happens in court. Otherwise, if you can't afford one, plead not guilty and ask the court for a public defender.

If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 3, 4, or 5 stars, as that is the only way that JustAnswer gives us Experts credit for our work here. You would still be able to post further follow ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.