Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

I just have a question. My son has been to court to get

Customer Question

I just have a question. My son has been to court to get custody of my granddaughter. It is almost settled. My ex Daughter in law didn't pay any of the court cost. over $20k I did. I am wondering if I can sue her for some of the money?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: washington is where the jurisiction is. She lives in NH
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: By me? They are getting ready to go to trial
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no I am just wondering if this is something I can do?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The only way you would be able to sue your former daughter in law is if the two of you agreed that you would pay the court costs and she would pay them back. The court order was directed at the two of them, so you didn't have any obligation to pay those amounts. If you chose to do so out of the goodness of your heart, that's essentially considered a gift to your son.

The fact that your former daughter-in-law benefits doesn't mean she has to pay you anything unless she knew you were going to pay and chose to benefit herself at your expense.

Your son could file a Motion asking that she be ordered to reimburse him for some of the court costs paid if the order directed both of them to share the costs equally.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Did you have any other questions about this?