DrakeLAW
DrakeLAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at Drake Law Firm PLC
89364048

I am married to a Mexican citizen and. We were married in

Customer Question

I am married to a Mexican citizen and I'm American. We were married in the USA and reside in Mexico. what is the law in Mexico or the US in regards ***** ***** of property in Mexico?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: guanajuato
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: only what is the law as to inheritance of property after decease of spouse?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The property homestead is in my wife name and her siblings say that I now own 1/2 the house which is not my motive my wife will specifically state her children are the heirs, does this change anything since our marriage in the US?
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 6 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you, please give me a moment to review and possibly research answers to your question.

Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 6 months ago.

Where you got married will not matter at all.

Mexican law will govern property issues while you are married. If you get divorced, the laws of wherever you file the divorce will govern. So, if the divorce was filed in the US, US law for the state you file in would govern. Make sense?