How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8775
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister's ex husband is out on disability. Can her alimony

Customer Question

my sister's ex husband is out on disability. Can her alimony be garnished from his checks?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: san luis obispo, CA
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: he's behind on payments already.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 8 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 8 months ago.

Good afternoon. If a party is failing to comply with a court order and in this case, failing to pay alimony, the receiving spouse would need to take them back to court. They would want to look to hold him in contempt of court and bring him before the Judge, to explain why he is not paying the alimony. The Judge can then take action and compel/force him to pay or else go after any money which he has, to satisfy what is owed.