Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

My friend recently got divorced. It was done through the

Customer Question

My friend recently got divorced. It was done through the mail in a different county. He and his ex signed the petition and she changed them to obtain ownership of both vehicles they had. He was not given copies until the final decree. She waited three weeks to give him his copy and then told him she owns both cars and has retitled them and she called the sheriff saying he stole her car. How does he get his car back
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Washington
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: She reported the vehicle stolen but nothing about the divorce papers
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have saved text messages from the time after the divorce was finalized and he had not gotten copies up to the day she called the police where she uses the term trade cars. So she had his car he had hers but then when he wouldn't stay the night with her she called the police
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 8 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

How did she change the petition? Did she add something or cross something out? If you look at it, is is obvious something was altered?