How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8775
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friend recently got divorced. It was done through the

Customer Question

My friend recently got divorced. It was done through the mail in a different county. He and his ex signed the petition and she changed them to obtain ownership of both vehicles they had. He was not given copies until the final decree. She waited three weeks to give him his copy and then told him she owns both cars and has retitled them and she called the sheriff saying he stole her car. How does he get his car back
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Washington
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: She reported the vehicle stolen but nothing about the divorce papers
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have saved text messages from the time after the divorce was finalized and he had not gotten copies up to the day she called the police where she uses the term trade cars. So she had his car he had hers but then when he wouldn't stay the night with her she called the police
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 8 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 8 months ago.

How did she change the petition? Did she add something or cross something out? If you look at it, is is obvious something was altered?