LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I was arrested for petite theft from publix for 55 dollars,

Customer Question

hi i was arrested for petite theft from publix for 55 dollars, i signed a PTA and got my arraingment for next week. do i have to get a lawyer? i've never been arrested and not sure what to do. but i don't want to spend 1000 for a lawyer if it's my first time and i can do a class and not face jail time
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: miami dade, fl i got arrested last month and i have my first court date the arraignment next friday
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yeah i was arrested but not taken to custody i was given a promise to appear
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's it i have never been arrested and i just want to know if i need a lawyer there
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 6 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. Miami-Dade should offer you a diversion program, as a first time offender, to get the case dismissed. If you stay out of trouble, take the class, pay your fines and perform any community service, the charges should be dismissed. This way, you can keep it off your record. You do not need an attorney, unless of course you want one and when you appear, can ask about the diversion program for first time offender.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
okay so the arraingment is next friday. i just show up and do i have to plead guilty? and then ask for the diversion program?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
sorry i'm just nervous, i've never been at court and i don't know what will happen when i get there. i just want to be prepared.

No, you can appear and speak with them about this. They will tell you what you need to plead and normally it is not guilty and they will wait to prosecute until everything is complete.