How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27604
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a medical bill of 24,000 and the hospital would not

Customer Question

I have a medical bill of 24,000 and the hospital would not set up a payment plan and refer the bill to a collection company. I can pay 250.00 a month but they are demanding 500.00 a month. I am a real estate agent and I never know for sure how much I may have coming in. I tojld them I can pay 250 but they said it has to come automatic out of all account and I not want to give them my ok to take out and they said they will do a judgement against me if I do not pay 500 and let them take it out of my account auto
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: ok I will wait
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: michigan
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: the bill was sent to the collection company and I have not check my credit report but they have not started a judgement just telling me they will
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 7 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok did you review my question
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
did you review my question
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 7 months ago.

I certainly understand the situation and your concern. They likely want to try and get a large payment, since there is some incentive for them. However, you are doing the right thing and not agreeing to pay, if you know it is not something you can afford. As such, if they refuse to accept it, the next step is really to wait and see if they do sue you. If they do, you can and need to respond and can raise any defenses which you may have. During that time, you can also ask the Judge to send the matter to mediation, so you can sit down and try and settle this and offer a reasonable payment, that they will accept. The attorney can look over your finances and see what your income is and what is affordable and base the payment plan, on that.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
can I refuse to let them have auto payment out of my account but agree to send in money once a month and if they do not agree to my payment I can afford will they give me the option of medication instead of a judgement. I am in the public and do not want this in thenew paper
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
are you still here
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 7 months ago.

Yes, you can refuse and advise them you want to send in the payment monthly, instead of via automatic withdraw.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 7 months ago.

Also, this is a civil matter, so there would be no reason it would be in the paper.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no I am at work and prefer email
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 7 months ago.

Certainly. We can continue here as needed.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok so if I state that I will pay 250.00 a month and will send the payment in and if they still decide to do a judgement against me it will not go in the paper because I have seen other judgements for other bills listed in the paper like foreclousers
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have never had a judgement against me so I have never had this issue but being a medical bill due to me not having insurance at that time
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 7 months ago.

Correct. If they will not agree to this at this point and sue you, it is not something that will be in the paper. A foreclosure needs to be published for sale and foreclosure purposes.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok so just so I am clear, I am going to send a certified letter to them and explain my situation and explain that I will pay more when I have it but at this time this is all I can do and I do not give them permission to take it out of my account
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 7 months ago.

Yes, correct. Advise you will mail payment and make sure it is received by them no later then __________. See how they respond and if they will agree and if so, they will write up the settlement agreement. You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated Thank you.