Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I own 2 vacation properties in Naples, Fl. The HOA demands

Customer Question
I own 2 vacation properties...
I own 2 vacation properties in Naples, Fl. The HOA demands potential renters to reveal their social security numbers for background check to be approved. Is this a violation of their civil liberties or at least their privacy?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: My renters have objected and are being disapproved after paying me their full rent. I told them to come. I will be fined for non compliance.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The HOA refuses to put this practice to a vote.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
1/10/2017
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 10 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Do I have any recourse?

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. The HOA can impose and requests, all tenants/renters to undergo a background check. There is nothing wrong or illegal about this and many associations, impose this practice. If the tenants do not want to provide this , they do not have to but the association would have a right to deny them renting, since they failed to cooperate and allow a background check to be done. Now, the alternative would be to see if they would allow a different background check service to be used, which simply relied about date of birth, instead of social security number. This way, the information which they seek and want to know can still be provided and the tenant does not have to give up their social.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Tina, Lawyer