Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Divorce question. Florida. Just spouse arrested for domestic

Customer Question
Hi JA: Hello. What do you...
Hi
JA: Hello. What do you want help with?
Customer: Divorce question
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no, just spouse arrested for domestic violence
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/10/2017
Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 10 months ago
Roger, Attorney

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

What is your question?

I've been married for 7 years, two daughters. My wife has Borderline Personality Disorder (undiagnosed), and volatile. But she's a good mom but capable of alienating behavior and emotionally unstable and unexpected behaviors. She was recently arrested for domestic violence and physically assaulting me. I want to get a divorce, but I know she will not be the kind of person that would be difficult in a divorce. But worse thing is I can't afford an attorney. We're living in Florida. Wife is currently in jail and should be released by tomorrow. Please help what can I do?
excuse me, she WOULD be difficult in divorce..

Thanks.

There are legal aid offices and pro bono lawyers throughout the state that can assist you with your divorce filing. That said, you can file for divorce on your own, but it is a tall task especially if you believe your spouse is going to be difficult.

If you cannot afford an attorney, you should consider contacting your local legal aid office and ask for help filing for divorce. Also, you should consider seeking a restraining order to stop the mother from contacting you and the children until she gets medical assistance / assistance with her mental health issues.

Given her recent charges, you should have an advantage in regard to custody of the children as well. Hopefully, the mother will take account of her actions and try to cooperate for the sake of her health and to maintain her relationship with her children.

I dont want the judge to restrain her from contacting her children.. that could do more harm for the kids not to see their mom.. their mom is explosive and volatile towards me in front of the kids.. but much better when shes alone with them.
but i don't want her to try and manipulate the children into hating me

That will be up to the judge.....but if you're agreeable to reasonable visitation or even shared custody, the judge will likely approve it as long as there are no issues of abuse (verbal or physical). If that does occur, the judge could restrict her access to the children.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!

Roger, Attorney