Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I live in State. I have a court date on January 13 at the

Customer Question

I live in Washington State. I have a court date on January 13 at the Judicial Dist 439th Rockwall County, TX I make 11.00 an hour and cannot afford to fly to TX for a court hearing.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And to clarify, can you tell me what paperwork has been filed?
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: My child is in Texas I live in Washington
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: there is a petition for child support with the state of wa however the mother is making effort to cancel that an sue me privately in TX
Expert:  Ely replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. You can try to ask the Court to allow you to appear via telephone/video, but it is a long shot and is really up to the Judge. This will have to be set up ahead of time.

Sample below:

MOTION FOR A TELEPHONIC HEARING

TO THE HONORABLE JUDGE OF SAID COURT:

COMES NOW (name), Movant herein, and files this, and brings this Motion for Telephonic Hearing for the hearing on Motion for Protective Order:

1. This matter is set for hearing on ___________
2. Movant/Movant's witnesses is/are unlikely to be able to present at the hearing in person due to: (reason)
3. Movant would be able to be present via telephone on the date and time of the hearing.
4. The Court has inherent power to grant said request.

WHEREFORE, PREMISES CONSIDERED, Respondent, Movant herein, requests this Court to grant this Motion for Telephonic Hearing and that the Court allow (name) to appear via telephone on (date), and for such other and further relief that may be awarded at law or in equity.

Respectfully

Signature

Name

[certificate of service]

(New page - proposed order)

ORDER GRANTING MOTION FOR TELEPHONIC HEARING

On , the Court considered Movant’s Motion for Telephonic Hearing, and after reviewing the evidence and hearing the arguments, the Court finds that the Motion should be

GRANTED DENIED.

SIGNED on , 2017

_____________________
JUDGE PRESIDING

This has to be sent to the Court, and the other party. The Judge normally reviews such a motion in chambers (meaning without a hearing), although you can confirm this with the clerk by calling shortly after or before filing.

NOTE that the presumption should be that the motion would be denied. So this is not a guarantee, just an attempt.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of THREE OR MORE STARS and then click FINISH to submit that rating, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating (it does not cost anything extra to rate).

Expert:  Ely replied 6 months ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!