Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

How can I garnish wages for services done on an automobile,

Customer Question
how can I garnish wages...
how can I garnish wages for services done on an automobile
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: mississiippi
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not yet I have an affidavit for repossession of the vehicle
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
1/9/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 10 months ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
In order to garnish wages or place a lien on someone, you have to first sue them and obtain a court judgment against them. Once you have a court judgment against them, then you can ask the court for an order of garnishment that would be served on the defendant's employer ordering them to send you money to pay the judgment.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
There is more you should know. I should have taken the vehicle through the court as the lien holder, instead I decided to hold up the verbal agreement to the individual. I let the person drive the car until they got the money for the service or money for a down payment on another car. Instead of holding there end of the deal, they filed charges for grand larceny and forgery
Thank you for your reply.
You need to file suit against them in order to get a judgment so you can then pursue garnishment, that is how the process works.
For educational purposes only what should someone do about the charges filed, how would someone go about getting legal documents, dropping all charges concerning the vehicle
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney