Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I'm a TEXAS contract psychologist. 1. I recently decided to

Customer Question

I'm a TEXAS contract psychologist.1. I recently decided to leave a company I was contracting with.2. I worked with them only 1 month.3. Contract says the company is supposed to pay 5 days after receiving an invoice. Director told me that was a mistake and they should have updated contract, but then did not indicate how that contract should have been modified.4. I was told through an email sent through the company online email-site (365 Outlook), that I would receive payment January 13, 2017 for two invoices I submitted between Dec 26 and Jan 3.5. However, I was recently told two days ago, after I submitted a third invoice, I would receive payment now on Feb 15, 2017 for all three invoices and nothing was mentioned about January 13, 2017. And they suggested in their email that was only if they received their materials by January 10, 2017 according to the Director's email, but January 9, 2017 according to coordinator's email. The materials consist of five client files to include the affidavit and notes I did for interviews completed on December 28, 2016 which I mailed today.I have been asking them what they wanted me to do with files, if I was finishing them, or what was going to happened. They have been not very clear in communication which has been my experience from the start with this agency.I am now seeking legal consultation of my options.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Filed, as in filed legally? I have not taken any actions. I am about to company today with track # for materials and tell I expect payment on Jan 13, 2017 and see what they say.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a licensed attorney for more than 3 decades and I handle employment law.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge of just $9 I can offer you a personal phone conference during which there is no limitation on the number of questions you can ask of me, as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Either way, whether I call you or not, in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Are you saying that you are an independent contractor---a 1099 employee?

2. What options are you wanting to consider?

3. Does your contract allow you to terminate the relationship at any time?

Thanks in advance,

Doug