Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I have a very complicated situation. my so co signed on a

Customer Question

I have a very complicated situation. my so co signed on a car with me back in 2007, he went to the army and was supposed to continue to pay for it while he was away, but he didn't. I eventually learned about the soldiers and sailors act and how that would protect him while he was away. He came back and the car was waiting for him. He continued to drive the car he had insurance on it and got into a couple of gender benders. He eventually moved back home but showed up with a different car and he told me the car was at a friends house and it still had insurance and that it was taken care of. I never got any paperwork on the car so Zi thought it was handled. I recently got a call from a PI looking for the car. My son doesn't speak to me and hasn't for years, do now I understand he abandoned the car in NY and he will not take any responsibility. I don't want this to fall on me solely. I need guidance
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Orlando, Florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Nothing, I'm just hearing about this now and I don't know what to do
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want him to take responsibility for this. I didn't ask for this. I helped him when he needed it and now he won't win up to this.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Is there a specific question with which I could assist?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I need to know if the soldiers and sailors act can still provide some assistance, he has not been active for years but is a vet.

No, it is extremely unlikely it could provide any relief at this point. The SSRA is an affirmative defense but it doesn't allow someone to hide property on which there is a security interest.

He needs to hire a lawyer ASAP and have them work on the case for him. If there is anything that the SSRA applies to, and it doesn't sound like there is at this stage, then the lawyer can assert it but what is likely to happen next is he will get indicated for "hindering a secured creditor" or whatever it is called in the state in which they decide to file charges. That is the crime used when secured property is sold or hidden from the creditor who has the secured interest.

A lawyer isn't under an obligation and can't be made ot reveal anything he knows which is the reason your son would want to use him rather than you trying to handle it or using a PI (or anyone other than a lawyer) simself.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I cannot pay that at this time. Can we try to do our best on line then maybe on Friday we can talk

Do you mean wait until Friday to hire a lawyer?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can I get an idea of my options before I look into hiring an attorney

Sure, but options as to what?

My main concern here is that they are likely to charge you as well as your son if someone doesn't reveal the whereabouts of the vehicle.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What was the $5.00 for

What $5?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The initial fee to get you

The experts aren't informed as to any payments you have made, etc. We only know the total amount you have pledged for the question.

Or, to be more specific, the total amount we are to be paid for the initial question. The follow up issues and answers in this thread are just included with the initial amount because we try and cover anything that looks like it will be a major issue in the case, even if the customer doesn't ask for it.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok, Dwayne I want to run this by my husband then can I reach out to you if we require anything else

Sounds good. PLease don't forget to issue your rating sometime in the next day or so or the question times out. Once you issue the Positive Rating the question locks open and you can come back to it at any time in the future for clarification.