LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I was wondering how i have to move out after i have been

Customer Question

i was wondering how long i have to move out after i have been served a unlawful detainer complaint
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: washington
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: i did recieve papers that say complaint for unlawful detainer
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: just that
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 6 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Being served, is the start of the eviction process and the landlord/owners attempt to get you out of the rental, if you will not voluntarily leave. A lot depends on if you contest this and have any defenses and if you are going to appear in court and be heard. If none of that is present, it could take 3 maybe 4 weeks, to finalize. In the complaint you were served with, it should have a date for you to appear or a time to respond in and it would be at that time, that the Judge decides if a final order will be entered or any court date needs to be set, depending on what is at issue.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok thankyou yes the date to respond is jan 13th . will i be served a finel notice ? i was wondering because i am on disability and was wondering how long i have to be out if i dont contest.

If you fail to respond by the 13th, you would be defaulted. If you are defaulted, an order would be imposed against you and I am inclined to believe, the Judge would require you to move a few days thereafter. As such, you should consider responding and appearing and explaining your disability and that you may need time and ask for the Judge to consider that.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
how do i go about contesting this do i go to the court house and file papers?

You need to read the summons and complaint. If it requires a written response, the clerk should have a form for you to fill out and file, to answer and raise any defenses. If it only requires you to appear, you need to make sure you appear on that date.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
wont i get served a finel 20 day notice first ?

If you did not appear, you would receive a final court order, that has a specific time, in which you need to vacate.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok thankyou for your advice.

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated Thank you.