How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29818
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter is 17 and doing her senior year at college in

Customer Question

My daughter is 17 and doing her senior year at college in which she is living at the dorm. She has also been staying with her dad on and off. I have primary custody of her. He is paying child support. But he is stating since she is in college he should not have to pay anymore. I was supposed to have a child support review to increase the amount but I didn't go through with it. But I have decided to and was wondering if I still could? I pay for over half of her living.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I live in Minnesota and he lives in North Dakota.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: What do you mean? I have papers stating I have primary. He and my daughter went behind my back and against my wishes applied to go to college in Moorhead Concordia.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: So now he thinks he doesn't have to pay Ok
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

You can still request an increase if you are contributing to your daughter's support while she is at college. Child support ends when a child becomes an adult, or when they move out and start working. If she's going to school on your dime, you can request additional support to help cover the additional expenses, at least until turns 18. You're still the custodial parent if she returns to your home for breaks and holidays.

He can request a change in custody if she stays with him during breaks and holidays. I mention that because he could file that in response to you seeking an increase, and if a judge grants the request, you'll lose support completely.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Do you have any questions about my response?