How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118200
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

On a civil law suit,mediator did not help now they are

Customer Question

on a civil law suit,mediator did not help now they are saying if we go to court and if I loose they will file judgement against me.I am afraid and very concern,I own property worked very hard all my life don't know what to do .case wrongful termination ,age discrimination I was 57 when terminated,disability discrimination terminated same month I was injured at home not at work was under doctor care with fracture vertebra's.if we go to court and I loose at what point will the judgement go in to effect ,can I sell my property now?can I quit claim it to my children? had mediator 01-06-2017 judge to review case 06-2017 if judge don't drop claims will have court 08-2017. We started asking 750k negotiating down to 150k they whent from 20k to 100k at that point they walked out. employer is negotiating himself with his attorney they are not having their insurance representing them they claim they are authorized by their insurance to go that rout.I am unemployed,59,with some medical condition ,my primary residency is under water,I have rental units with equity,please reply the attorney handling my civil case did not offer any advice not even a reference to an attorney that I could consult,they said they did not know any one,waiting for reply.Thank you
JA: I'm trying to find the right Lawyer for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know. Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Los Angeles California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: as far as i know nothing
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: my biggest concern is my property at this point and time,even if I have to accept whatever they offer if any
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you go to court, the judgment is due and collectable in full within 60 days of the judgment being entered, which is the time you have to appeal the judgment in CA.
If suit is already filed and you try to hide assets, then under the voidable transfer act, the court can recover anything you transfer to your family or friends. If you sell property at or near assessed fair market value they could seize the proceeds of the sale for a judgment.
If there was a fair settlement offer made, based on the fact this was a off work injury and a disability discrimination claim, then if you do not take it and you do not win at least 25% more than that in trial, they can seek a judgment against you for costs and attorney's fees. If you went down to $150K and they were at $100K, you were very close and need to consider reopening settlement negotiations with them.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.