How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 13868
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have worked at my job for 28 years. When I began there was

Customer Question

I have worked at my job for 28 years. When I began there was a benefit package of vacation time and sick leave. I have accumulated 790 + hours of sick leave and get 4 weeks of vacation. The sick leave drops back to 720 hours on my start date which is the 17th of February. I get paid 25% of the work of the hours over 720 hours. We have a new administrator and they are going to PTO's My time will drop to 200 hours which is also the maximum I can have at any time. I also have 52 hours of vacation time to take before Feb. 17th. Can they do this.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Nebraska
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet. these new policies go in to effect February 2nd.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 9 months ago.

Unfortunately, they can do this. There are no federal laws -and very few states have laws in place -that govern vacation time and changes in policy. Absent an employment contract or union agreement, there is nothing that says your employer can't change their terms from one way to another.

About as close as Nebraska comes (and it doesn't help your situation) is to provide under law that vacation time is defined as a fringe benefit, and that any such fringe benefits earned as part of an employment agreement must be paid out upon separation from employment because it's treated as a wage under the Nebraska Wage Payment and Collection Act.