Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I have a question. My ex boyfriend was a authorize user on

Hello, I have a question. My ex boyfriend was a authorize user on my credit card account. We bought music equipment and he use his card to pay. The equipment was my investment for him to use. Now he claims that he pays with the card that has his name on it, so the equipment is his! is it true? I still did pay for it? it was my money invested.
JA: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: Thank you for clarifying cause I am confuse whose technically is the owner of the equiment New york. We are not resident though. I live here under a visa and he is visiting the equipment was bought last year and the argument starts now!
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no, he wants me to give him the equipment but I refuse because I paid for it and it was not a gift!
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and this is one of these times.

Just cause he bought the items using your account does not automatically give you the ownership of the items. He can claim that it was a gift. Even if he does not claim that it was a gift, anything he purchases as an authorized user is presumed to be his.

The way to break that presumption is to go to Court (you'd have to file), and argue that there was an agreement that the items would be yours. You'd ha

ave to prove that there was such an agreement by a preponderance of the evidence (i.e. 51% or over), so some kind of proof would be needed besides simply your word.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of THREE OR MORE STARS and then click FINISH to submit that rating, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating (it does not cost anything extra to rate).

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay thanks!

You are very welcome. Good luck, and please don't forget to RATE my answer with three or more stars and then click FINISH to submit that rating – it is the only way I get credit for my time with you – or, please use the SEND button to keep on chatting – I want you to be satisfied.