RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

My cousin texted a dirty message saying that I am a

Customer Question

My cousin texted a dirty message saying that I am a sexual molester/rapist which I have no idea.. Just wonder if I can file a case. please advise.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Warren , michigan
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: we have a argument and then he texted me those dirty message...
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good morning,

I'm sorry, but I don't see a basis for any type of lawsuit here based on those facts. If he had sent that message to another person or posted it on social media, knowing it was false, arguably you might have grounds for a claim of defamation (a false statement made to a third party/persons intentionally or negligently by a defendant). However, even then, unless you could show that you suffered some sort of economic harm from the statement - and it would have to be significant damages - there's really no basis for a lawsuit because without economic damages, you don't have the necessarily elements of a lawsuit. The courts cannot compensate you because your cousin made a vulgar, offensive statement which you understandably found upsetting and rude.

Was there any additional information I could provide about my answer or something I could clarify?

I, like the other Experts on this site, am here to assist customers like you. However, we do so in anticipation of being paid for our efforts, just like other professionals do, since this is our livelihood and not a hobby. To that end, I am more than happy to clarify my answer to you and answer any related follow up questions that you might have. In return, I ask that you show good faith in compliance with the Terms of Service by accepting my answer, whether the news is good or bad, so that I will be paid for my efforts. Thank you!