How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29996
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 16 year old son got a unliscenced operator ticket as he

Customer Question

my 16 year old son got a unliscenced operator ticket as he was moving a car for a friend who had been drinking and police were in the area for noise disturbance so he was ticketed as he only has a learners permit . what is the best way to handle this ticket ?
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Yes NY
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No he just received the ticket on Sat and has court date for Feb 6
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so no ?
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 7 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

If there was an emergency situation such that your son was required to move the car despite not having a license, he can plead not guilty and request a trial. He has a right to have an attorney appointed for him, and he could defense on that basis. An emergency would be something like, someone needed to go to the hospital and couldn't unless that car was moved. Moving a car because the other driver was drunk likely isn't an emergency unless there was a reason that the car HAD to be moved to prevent an injury to someone else's health and safety and there was no one else sober to do it. A lawyer might also be able to dispute whatever sequence of events lead to the police asking to see your son's license.

The other option is to go in and try to make a deal with the district attorney. It's possible they'll be willing to lower the fine if you explain what happened. The minimum fine is $75. However, they'll probably suspend your son's ability to get his license.

Your son has a right to have a lawyer represent him, so he can also go to court, plead not guilty, request a lawyer, and let the lawyer try to negotiate the best possible outcome for him after reviewing all the evidence.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.