Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

I am a part time pastor of a church. I am 76 years old and

Customer Question

I am a part time pastor of a church. I am 76 years old and retired from a secular job. I draw s.s. and a retirement check. Do I have to pay s.s. tax on a small housing allowance
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Ohio
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have not reported the housing allowance to federal govt. The church takes nothing out and does not report it.
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.
Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I hope to answer your questions and provide excellent service.
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.
For income tax purposes, your housing allowance is excluded, up to the amount you actually spend on housing (keep records of your costs). But it's included in determining your self-employment taxes (the tax that goes to pay social security and medicare and gets reported on Schedule SE).
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.
You may want to consult your tax preparer about filing an amended return, or wait to see if the return is questioned.
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.
I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.
Thank you!