Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have Spinal Muscular Atrophy. I am receiving large sums of

Customer Question
money until May every month...
I have Spinal Muscular Atrophy. I am receiving large sums of money until May every month from my relative in Brazil. My mom says I can't put it in my bank account for fear of losing my SSI. I am putting it in a safe deposit box. Are my mom's concerns valid or would it be ok to place it in my account without fear of losing my SSI? I will show your response to my mother.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Nope
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is all
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
Correction: I have been receiving SSI for several years
1/9/2017
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 10 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Your mom's concerns are valid. However, whether you put the money in a safe deposit box or your bank account, you are required by law to disclose these funds to Social Security Administration. Failure to report these funds, if Social Security Administration discovers the information, would be grounds for assessment of overpayment on you. That is, Social Security Administration may ask you to pay back the benefit payments that your have received during these five months. You could also be persecuted for benefit fraud.

I am sorry that I do not have the answer that you were seeking. However, as an Attorney and an Officer of the Court, I have ethical and professional obligation to provide you with the correct information eventhough that is not the information you want to hear.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best wishes,

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law