Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I have a sister and brother who kept me for seeing my father

Customer Question

I have a sister and brother who kept me for seeing my father for years so that they could get more proceeds from the family trust. I would like to know if I have any recourse?
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: WY
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Multiple 'no-trespass' and false police reports were filed agains me and my wife.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The brother and sister have accused me of everything under the sun in order to keep me from seeing dad. They have slandered my wife and me accusing me of shooting holes in my brothers house, trying to poison dad and on and on...
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 7 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

You may file defamation suit against your brother for slander. In order to prevail in a defamation suit, you must be able to prove all of the elements of defamation. Generally, you must be able to prove (1) that a defamatory (false and slanderous) statement was made against you; (2) that there was a unprivileged publication of the statement to a third party; (3) if the defamatory statement is a matter of public concern, fault amounting at least to negligence on the part of the publisher—this may not apply to you if you are not a public figure; (4) then finally you have to prove that you suffered damages as a result of the defamation.

You would need to consult with a Civil Rights Attorney in your area to assist you in putting your claim together as these cases can be very difficult to win. Interview at least three Attorneys and/or review their web sites to see which one will be a better match for you. You want to look for someone who is not too busy to handle your case; someone who will return your phone calls in a timely manner, and someone who will give you prompt updates on your case.

Click here to find local Attorneys in your area who handle defamation cases:

Civil Rights Lawyers

Justia.com

findlaw.com

Goodluck with your case,