How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INFOLAWYER Your Own Question
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 57361
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
Type Your Legal Question Here...
INFOLAWYER is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was hired by written contract for 2 years at $185,000.00

Customer Question

I was hired by written contract for 2 years at $185,000.00 per year to be the Chief Security Officer (CSO) of ***** ** ******* *****, ***, by then CEO *** *** -***. back in 2011. I worked for 6 months and was never paid. When I billed *** -*** for back salary he asked me to "stand down." **** later incorporated and *** -*** promised he would pay me. The company has now incorporated in ******* as *********, ***. *** -*** has promised within the last 6 months that I will get my money. *** -*** continues to say he has not yet received funding for his company and that is why he can't pay me. I moved to ***** ** in September, 2011, and did survey studies for security on 2 buildings *** -*** was planning to rent, but never did rent. He claims he is still seeking funding. He asked me to move to ***** **, which I did as part of my contract deal. What can I do? JA: Can you tell me what state the LLC is registered in? Customer: It was originally in New Mexico as ***** ** ******* *****, ***, but then incorporated in NM. *** -*** has now incorporated in ******** as *********. Inc. All along, *** -*** has promised to pay me for the last 5 years. JA: Has anything been filed or reported? Customer: I have not filed anything with anyone because *** -*** and I used to be good friends and I did not want to ruin that friendship, but the contract was for $185,000.00 per year and I have received nothing. It cost me nearly $30,000.00 to move to ***** ** as *** -*** had asked. I can no longer afford this. JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you? Customer: *** -*** has said on the phone and by e-mail that I would get my money. He said this as CEO of ****, LLC, as CEO of ****, Inc in New Mexico and he has said it as CEO of ***********, Inc in *********.

Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 8 months ago.

what outcome are you seeking at this point? are you asking for options to prepare and pursue a claim?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Do I have a valid suit for any amount? It cost me about $30,000.00 to move to ***** **, ** and rent an apartment for 1 year at *** -*** request. I did not attempt to get any money sooner because we are (were) friends and *** -*** has stated he would like to hire me as a consultant when his company is up and running. I think he is just stalling and I can't afford it anymore. At this point I don't care about the friendship we used to have. I am not looking for the whole 2 years worth of contract, just the time I worked, plus the 2 months I was not paid at termination according to New Mexico law.

Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 8 months ago.
You stand to recover not only your actual losses (compensatory damages) but also interest, costs and legal fees. on occasion special damages (punitive damages) are also available.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific and are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if that is acceptable and feel free to reply back and follow upFive
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 8 months ago.
Kindly rate me five stars. Leaving a bonus after rating is very much appreciated.