How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INFOLAWYER Your Own Question
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 56818
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
Type Your Legal Question Here...
INFOLAWYER is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had to replace the gas furnace in the house that I rent.

Customer Question

I had to replace the gas furnace in the house that I rent. The tenants had to stay in a hotel for one week until this could be completed. The hotel bill was $560 which I agreed to pay. They now are asking for the weeks rent which is $800 to be deducted from the next months rent. Am I legally obligated to pay the hotel bill and the $800 for the weeks rent?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: The house is in Vienna, Virginia zip, 22182.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes, they filed a complaint with Fairfax County. The house is in the hands of a real estate company. They will be answering the complaint. They signed a contract that states that it is illegal to run a business from my house, But they do have an online business of clothing.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I realize their online business has nothing to do with the question that I'm asking. They must be 1000 women's dresses, boxes etc. in The basement.
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 7 months ago.

If tenant paid rent for the period and could not occupy and has to stay in a hotel, LL would need to cover that hotel expense provided tenant did not go out and spend on an extremely lavish room. The housing expense should be reasonable and LL should cover that.

Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 7 months ago.

Is that clear and acceptable?