How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INFOLAWYER Your Own Question
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 56537
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
Type Your Legal Question Here...
INFOLAWYER is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I moved into a highrise apt building less than 3 years ago.

Customer Question

I moved into a highrise apt building less than 3 years ago. Since then the people above me have flooded my bathroom 6 times. The ceiling is cracked, falling down and I am sure there is mold there too. The maintence people have done noting to fix it. Can I withhold my rent until this is repaires?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: New York
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: the office has seen it, one guy took pictures, and complaint reports have been filed in the office
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: It is a 55 years and older highrise and also people on disability.
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 6 months ago.

I am in NY as well. LL is obligated to address this problem and has not based on continued issues. Legally, it is a warranty of quiet enjoyment which has been breached. You can withhold until fixed and may even consider demanding damages from landlord for past months.

Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 6 months ago.

Is that clear?