Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

I have court order criminal restitution to pay that just

Customer Question

I have court order criminal restitution to pay that just surfaced from 14 years ago and would they take any inheritance I would receive as the amount owed would far exceed my inheritance I live in California, thank you
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: so they can take my inheritance for restitution
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the court order was issued in?
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: they have garnished my wages
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thank you
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.

I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and my goal is to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Unfortunately, yes, the inheritance, which is not exempt from the criminal restitution order (unless the order states otherwise), and may be garnished to satisfy the restitution order.

Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!