Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

We were threatened by another tenant, in our apt building,

Customer Question

We were threatened by another tenant, in our apt building, what can we do about it?? Can we expect the landlord to evict him, and what rights do we have if he doesn't??
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: the police came and we think he was 302d?? he was trying to kick our door down and repeatedly threatened to kill my husband and I
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: that covers it i think
Expert:  Barrister replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

If you were threatened with physical harm, then this is a criminal act and you would need to contact the police and file a formal complaint against the person for harassment.

.

But the landlord typically won't intervene in problems between tenants because his only duty to a tenant is to provide a habitable dwelling that meets all minimum housing code laws. He doesn't have to make sure that all the tenants get along because he is typically not a member of law enforcement. That is the job of the police to intervene in criminal disputes between people.

.

If they took him in for a mental health evaluation, and his actions were considered a breach of the peace, then if there is some clause in the lease about breaching the peace or disturbing other tenants, the landlord could evict him, but is not legally obligated to do so.

.

.

thanks