Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

My fiance got a speeding ticket in Atlanta with a court date

Customer Question

my fiance got a speeding ticket in Atlanta with a court date for Jan 10 but the case cannot be found online or by phone, no record of the citation exists except for the ticket itself. What to do?
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Atlanta Georgia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: She has the paper copy of the ticket and when we tried to pay the fine online the citation could not be found.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Does she need to show up at court at the appointed date/time if the case is not in the system? thx
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

She could contact the court by telephone to see what is happening but if she isn't able to get it handled before the date shown on the ticket them she needs to be there at that time so she doesn't get a warrant issued and another charge for failure to appear.

Judges will almost always blame the person who received the ticket rather than their own staff.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That's what I thought too, thank you.

You're very welcome.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Just curious, if her case is not called because they can't find it should she ask to get in front of a judge anyway to explain the situation?

She can ask but it won't do anything. The prosecutor has a right to be prepared and the judge isn't going to make them move forward. However, she could ask the prosecutor about something like a pretrial diversion to keep her from having to drive up again. A pretrial diversion is where she pays a small find and gets put on informal probation (no reporting, no community service) for a month or so and if she doesn't get another ticket then the case is just dismissed. A DA is often likely to do that rather than make you return in the future.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok, thank you.

You're welcome.