How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 55325
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I tried having sex with a girl who I thought was 18 but

Customer Question

I tried having sex with a girl who I thought was 18 but turns out she is 17 which is legal in mi. She is adopted by one of my family members and now they are pushing her to say I tried to rape her. She was kicked out of their house and sleeping outside so I let her stay in my house for a few days. One night we were fooling around on my couch then I said I'm going to bed you can come join me. So I went and laid down and shortly after she came and laid next to me. I was grouping her then tried putting my hands down her pants she weirded out and I put my hands on her shoulders and said what's wrong she then said no stop so I immediately took my hands off her. She then got up and walked out of my room and out of the house. Three days later my family kicked me out of my house. I've been staying with friends and have heard from family members the cops are looking for me and I have a warrent. So I called the cop who's looking for me and left my number and whent to the police station and no warrent. The cop never called me back but he has been to my other families house looking for me. Apparently he wants to talk to me. What do I do?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Mi
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I think she just told the cop I tried to rape her. He is a school lieason
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

Good morning. First, don't talk to anyone about this as you don't want to do or say anything inadvertently that could be used against you. If any one calls you or visits you, simply state that you have nothing to say without your lawyer being present. Second, I would highly recommend you engage a criminal defense attorney now to discuss your case under the attorney/client privilege so that should the police call or come to your house, you will already have an advocate to call. Third, the burden of proof is on the girl and the burden in any criminal case is "beyond a reasonable doubt." That's a very high burden and given your facts this case is not likely to pursued.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars J). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!