Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I retired from the USPS disabled/early 13 yrs ago. My first

Customer Question

I retired from the USPS disabled/early 13 yrs ago. My first check from postal retirement was about equal, dollar for dollar to my check from SS/D. Then the PO told me that was "double-dipping" & wasn't allowed since both checks came from the US Treasury. Since then my PO retirement check has been about $1500/mo less than my SS/D check. Several people (who are not lawyers) have told me the PO cannot do that. I tried to contact the Office of Personell Management about this w/o luck, but did run across a site I cannot find again by a lawyer who handles these claims. He said the PO makes up itd own rules as it goes along. My opinion is the PO cannot dictate my retirement based on my SS income. They were funded thru different means, therefore it is not "double-dipping". Do I have a case? Can you refer me to a lawyer who is willing to take it for part of an approximate $234K lawsuit?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in? I am Pearl, the Lawyer's Assistant.
Customer: I am in MS, but the Post Office is a Federal Gov't entity.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not officially. I've tried to get answers from the OPM w/o results.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just is this a legitimate claim. Can the PO dictate how much SS/D I get or how much that effects my Postal retirement?
Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Are you receiving FERS disability benefits or just regular retirement?

Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.

If you receive Social Security Disability benefits, your FERS disability annuity will be affected. Generally, the amount of your FERS disability payment will be reduced by the amount you receive from the SSDI. Here's a good link you can read: http://www.disability-benefits-help.org/blog/fers-social-security-disability