How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27715
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im trying to figure out how to not get a trespassing

Customer Question

Im trying to figure out how to not get a trespassing citation on my record
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Washington
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I have no ide all I was told was that we were being detained in our car for trespassing and that we would be sent a court date in the mail
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that i can think of wait do i have to pay $36
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 9 months ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Do you have any prior criminal convictions?

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 9 months ago.

Trespassing is a non-violent misdemeanor. If you are charged with a crime and have no previous contact with the criminal justice system, you should retain a criminal lawyer. He can talk to the prosecutor, look at the court papers and the discovery, and see if there's any way he can get the charge dismissed or reduced. Otherwise, he could likely negotiate a disposition that would keep a conviction off of your record.

There are special diversion-types of dispositions for which first offenders are generally eligible. These are forms of probation where you complete community service, pay fines and stay out of further trouble during the probationary period. If you do all that successfully, the judge will dismiss charges against you so that you don't have to carry the conviction on your record.

You could also opt to go to trial, and if you are acquitted of the charges, there would be no conviction on your record either. But whether you decide to go to trial or cut your losses with some kind of plea agreement, you should not think of handling the matter without a lawyer.

If you are charged and can afford a lawyer, have him with you at your arraignment. If you cannot afford a lawyer, plead not guilty at your arraignment to keep all of your rights and options open and ask the judge to appoint you a free lawyer.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 9 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.