How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33555
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received money from my dad Sophia Leone my lawsuit but he

Customer Question

I received money from my dad Sophia Leone my lawsuit but he passed away do I I'm trying to get help with part because on my disability do I have to tell them about the money I receive for that
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: ohio
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: he passed away and each sibling is getting money from it
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I on disability ohio not paying part b to get help from me dacia do I have to tell them
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 7 months ago.

What type of disability are you getting?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
sociAL Security disibility
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 7 months ago.

There are two types of Social Security Disability. SSD and SSDI. One of them (SSDI) is needs based whereas SSD is based solely on work history. Do you know which one of those two it is?

If not, how much are you getting each month?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
631.00 but they took 134. 00 out already
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
should ohio cover it free work history
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 7 months ago.

At that amount then it is likely it would be SSDI which is needs based. You have to report any money you get to them and it can affect whether or not you continue to get benefits.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 7 months ago.

How much money did you get from your father?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
seventy thousands dollar would it be considered an inheritance
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
income or asset?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 7 months ago.

I can't really comment on what it would be considered since I haven't examined all of the paperwork, etc. It would definitely be an asset.

However, at this point you need to see a local lawyer to look into whether you can get the money put into some kind of trust that won't affect your disability.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
what kind of lawyer
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 7 months ago.

You can find a lawyer by going to and in the section for Area of Practice enter "Trusts" or "Trusts and Estates". Either of those will work. They will know how to structure the money so that, if it is possible, it doesn't affect your social security. Ask them specifically about a Special Needs Trust but they may have some other ideas as well.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.

Related Legal Questions