How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118809
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a disabled veteran. I live in a condo in Panama City

Customer Question

I am a disabled veteran. I live in a condo in Panama City Beach. The condo is being painted. The board has sent a notice that everyone must vacate their condo--find another place to live for a week--while the stairs and walkways are being painted. There are other ways to paint the stairs without requiring everyone to move and that is to put boards down and paint each side. It takes longer but does not require people moving out. It is impossible for me to move out because of my health condition. Does association have authority to require everyone to vacate their home?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: What do you mean exactly. Got a letter today saying we have to move out for a week.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Condo is in Florida. Owned by me as my primary residence.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
As an owner of the unit, the board has the general right to close the building for safety to make repairs required, but if there is an alternative way, then closing the whole building is unreasonable. However, as a person with a disability, they have to make accommodations for you if you cannot leave and you need to inform them that under the Americans with Disabilities Act, you are disabled and unable to leave to move and that you are asking for a reasonable accommodation to allow availability of access and if they refuse you will be filing a complaint to the local housing authority for discrimination based on the ADA.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.