How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8775
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm looking for info on how to file a motion to set aside

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can we help?
Customer: I'm looking for info on how to file a motion to set aside default judgement and motion to dismiss in Arlington, VA General District Court
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: see above
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: a default judgement
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thank you
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  legalgems replied 6 months ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Expert:  legalgems replied 6 months ago.

What was the underlying suit (ie breach of contract?) and what is the basis to set aside?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I received a 5-day Pay or Quit notice from Landlord. I moved-out (with affidavit) before 5 days. Then, after I moved Landlord claims they filed Unlawful Detainer via certified mail. Since wasn't properly served because I already moved out. Therefore, I could not defend myself and got a default judgement.