Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I bought a jet ski in fl from a private owner without a

Customer Question

i bought a jet ski in fl from a private owner without a title the only record of this vehicle being titled is in a co name in fl called suncoast party boat inc they are out of business bmv tells me i have to get a judge to issue a judgement to bmv b4 the can issue a title how do i do this
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the boat?
Customer: fl 95
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: filed or reported by whom?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to file a petition to quiet title, which is where you go to court, you need the proof of purchase, you also need information from the secretary of state showing the company is out of business and you need to serve a copy of your petition and summons through the secretary of state if you cannot find the company's last registered agent. Here is a sample of what a quiet title petition looks like (this is for land, but for a vehicle is same thing): http://www.ccfj.net/CourtFLPalmAirequiettitle.pdf
Usually using a local attorney can speed things up and typically they will not charge much more than $500 to do everything and get an order from the court to issue title in your name.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.