Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
94475420

I gave a lawyer $1500 retainer to help me change my name

Customer Question

I gave a lawyer $1500 retainer to help me change my name legally , got court date but after reviewing first billing statement found out that she billed me for proofreading and certified copies of passport there is only $400 left and I never wanted to spent over$1500. Today I told her she is too aggressive w her billing and she said I am welcome to represent myself in court what should I do?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: Pay $5 where ?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And to clarify, can you tell me what paperwork has been filed?
Customer: I am in NY city NY state. She filed the papers to civil court explaining reasons why I want to change my name. Court date is January 24.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The petition for the name change was filed and they gave me date that was December 14th I met her November 15.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just want to get 400 $ back and pay to someone who will not take advantage. She said she will draw paperwork to stop representing me clearly she is greedy. I have simple matter just a name change. But I don't want to go to court alone. What should I do?
Expert:  Bill Attorney replied 7 months ago.

This is attorney Bill offering assistance to your legal question regarding retainer agreements and professional conduct in New York.

Because every retainer agreement is different in terms of the agreed services and hourly fee, the first point of call is to review your retainer agreement and the verbal agreement you had in relation to the services provided for $400.

After reviewing this and you are still in disagreement, you can sue the attorney in the NY small claims court for the overcharge.

If you feel that your attorney is not acting professionally you have a right to file a professional misconduct complaint with thehttp://www.nycourts.gov/courts/ad1/committees&programs/DDC/Complaint%20Form.pdf NY State Bar:

http://www.nycourts.gov/courts/ad1/committees&programs/DDC/Complaint%20Form.pdf

This is a division of the NY State Bar

WE ARE HERE TO HELP

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE GOOD TO GREAT TODAY BEFORE EXITING

THIS IS HOW I GET A CREDIT FOR THE INFORMATION PROVIDED

Thanks

Bill