Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I shoplifted 2 weeks ago firs time in my life and now I have

Customer Question
i shoplifted 2 weeks...
i shoplifted 2 weeks ago firs time in my life and now I have the court 1/11 and I just don't know what I have to do,I have a big trouble about this:(
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: nj
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes ,they call to police and the police has come and took me and after 2 hours they let me go
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i dot have many, I have very low salary and I my son is student and I have to pay for his education so I'am looking for some help
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
1/6/2017
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

NewJersey Shoplifting Criminal Penalties

Charge

Classification

Penalty

Shoplifting merchandise with a total combined value less than $200

Disorderly persons shoplifting

Up to six months of jail time and/or a fine up to $1,000

Shoplifting merchandise with a total combined value of $200-$500

Crime of the fourth degree

Up to 18 months of jail time and/or a fine of up to $10,000.00

Shoplifting merchandise with a total combined value of $500-$75,0000

Crime of the third degree

Between 3-5 years of jail time and/or a fine up to $15,000

Shoplifting merchandise with a total combined value of $75,000 or greater

Crime of the second degree

Between 5-10 years of jail time and/or a fine up to $150,000

Pretrial intervention or diversion programs may be available to those accused of first-time and low-level crimes in New Jersey. If an accused completes the program requirements, such as counseling, community service, and restitution, the criminal charges will be dropped.

Contact the prosecutor and ask about pretrial diversion here, it is the best you can do.

I appreciate the chance to help you and wish you the best.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

thanks a lot

You are so welcome and good luck here.Thanks for rating 5 stars at top of page.

Ray, Lawyer