Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
94475420

I signed a contract and paid for services for a matchmaker

Customer Question

I signed a contract and paid for services for a matchmaker this afternoon I'm having second thoughts and want to cancel. What can I do?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Massachusetts
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I signed it a few hours ago.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I paid with credit card
Expert:  Bill Attorney replied 6 months ago.

This is attorney Bill

Consume law generally gives you a three day cooling off period and right to cancel a services contract agrred at a place other than the seller's place of business.

" Section 48. A. An agreement providing for the sale or lease of goods, or the rendering of services, or both, primarily for personal, family or household purposes in excess of twenty-five dollars in value and which is consummated by a party thereto at a place other than the address of the seller or lessor, which may be his main office or branch thereof, may be canceled by the buyer for other than the seller's or lessor's breach, whether or not such agreement contains a provision for periodic payments or an extension of credit, provided the buyer, not later than midnight of the third business day following execution of the agreement, notifies the seller or lessor that he is canceling, and such cancellation shall be effective thereupon."

Hence , I suggest you notify the company immediately

REMEMBER TO RATE POSITIVELY BEFORE YOUR EXIT

THIS IS HOW I GET A CREDIT FOR THE INFORMATION PROVIDED

BEST

Bill

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The contract was signed in the premises of the seller but the services are not going to be tendered there. Could you clarify the language "other than the address of the seller"
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
You can respond in print. Thanks.

Therefore the three day rule would not apply to you.

Because penal damages are rarely enforced by a civil court it is possible to negotiate a termination with the company.

You could request immediate cancellation and any punitive damages not be enforced but just the few days of the contractual price that have past.

Courts are generally reluctant to award punitive damages.

Other rights to cancel your contract would be fraud ,impossibility, misrepresentation, coercion or another unequitable practice.

WE ARE HERE TO HELP

PLEASE REMMEBER TO RATE POSITIVELY BEFORE EXITING

THIS IS HOW I GET A CREDIT

THANKS

Bill