How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 9908
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Legal Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a step dad and my wife does not receive the correct

Customer Question

I am a step dad and my wife does not receive the correct child support from her X since 2009 and she is scared to take him back to court. Every year we stay in debt due to this and i want to know if i have the right to take him to court cause it's affecting our life?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Maryland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No he's been paying half since 2009
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats it
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  legalgems replied 6 months ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Expert:  legalgems replied 6 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this; unfortunately a step parent does not have standing to enforce a child support obligation under the statutory or case law precedence. Only the parent, legal guardian, or adult child can bring a claim for child support.

However, there is a division that does assist in collection of child support- that information is here:

Perhaps if the mother sets up an account with the agency she will feel more comfortable having them collect the support on her behalf. You will see how that website states that it is the child that has the right to the support of their parents, and that may help convince the mother that it is in the child's best interest to pursue the issue.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  legalgems replied 6 months ago.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;
if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answer.