How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald, Esq Your Own Question
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3992
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Gerald, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in NM and my father is challenging my rights to my son

Customer Question

I am in NM and my father is challenging my rights to my son whom I have taken care of since day one with the exception of rehabilitation care for substance abuse for no more than 30 days. I dont have the best legal record. My father is threatening legal action to take away my parental rights. I am looking at getting a place for me an my son who also wants away from his grandfather. my dad has been conditioning him to distrust based on his religious beliefs. What are my rights as a parent?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NM. new mexico
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no. not to my knowledge
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no. I ont think so ok
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I prefer chat I can screen shot
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 7 months ago.


Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

The good news is that it is very difficult to forfeit a parents rights. The courts must find that you are currently an unfit parent incapable of providing for your child.

Grandparents do NOThave custody or visitation rights in NM absent proof that the parent is CURRENTLY unfit.

Still you will need assistance from local counsel. COntact your local legal aid office and ask for a referral to a Pro Bono family attorney. Pro Bono Attorneys provide services at no cost.

I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck,

Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
can you recommend a local attorney?
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 7 months ago.

I am not permitted to make direct referrals BUT this link can hlep you find lo cost help:

This link can help you find a local family law attorney:

Good luck.

Kind regards,