How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 42880
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grandfather passed 12/26. He has 2 living sons and my

Customer Question

My grandfather passed 12/26. He has 2 living sons and my mother who is decesed. My uncle called me today and wants me to sign bond paperwork. What could this be?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Maryland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I do not know of a will or insurance policies. No one has paid any funeral expenses but me. My uncle said I need to sign a paper so debters do not take the house.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: side note the house got raided by the police for drugs last night. My uncles are addicts and Im worried they want me to sign my share of something away???
JA: It's hard to know for sure. The Lawyer will figure it out.
Customer: ok
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 9 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok thank you
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no to the call
Expert:  Ray replied 9 months ago.

Don't sign anything that you don't understand.I assume it is related to the house here make sure they aren't tricking you.If you can post what you get here I could offer more information.You may want to positive rate here you can then come back and post the document or paste it.This doesn' sound normal you are smart to want to read it first and ask questions.Don't sign anything you don't understand.

Thanks again, let me know if you have more followup.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Basically, I want to know what a bond is? Would this mean that he does have a will? Is it something that has to be done in a certain time frame? I want to tell my uncle I'm not even going to look at anything until he helps me with the cremation expenses. He is saying he needs to file these papers next week so debt collectors cannot take the house. I thought that if my grandfather died my uncles get the house. Why do they even need me?
Expert:  Ray replied 9 months ago.

It could be if there was no will and he is going to be the administrator for the estate court requires a bond for your protection unless you all waive it.The bond fee comes out of the estate fee so you inherit less but you weigh that against your trust of him here.That makes sense that he would be trying to save money and have you sign such a bond waiver for probate.

Thanks for the follow up and chance to respond.