How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 9905
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Legal Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was actually looking for another website. But as as you

Customer Question

I was actually looking for another website. But as long as you are here. . . the question is actually for a friend. She has a son that committed suicide in an Arkansas jail last year. She is interested in filing a wrongful death suit against the jail. Problem is one year deadline is tomorrow. Is there any chance she is going to be able to get the proper paperwork filed to at least keep the possibility for a future case open? Or at this point is it too little too late?
JA: Can you tell me what state this is in? And do you have copies of the medical records?
Customer: Arkansas and they are getting the autopsy
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not to my knowledge
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  legalgems replied 6 months ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Expert:  legalgems replied 6 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this; That must be extremely difficult for your friend to deal with.

it is important to comply with the statute of limitations or the claim will be forever barr.ed.

One can hire an attorney (given the impending deadline self representation would not be wise) to file a bare bones complaint and that can later be amended. Many attorneys, particularly for personal injury or wrongful death, will take the case on contingency fee, meaning no payment is made unless they are successful.

Sample complaint here but it is best to hire an attorney since the deadline is approaching;

here is the state bar referral page

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  legalgems replied 6 months ago.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;
if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answer.